Monday, January 12, 2015

Find Hidden Money


Ever wonder if there's money out there that may be owed to you and you may not be aware of it?
So did I!  So I did a search and here's what I came up with. 

I found an article by CNN on this very topic.  Apparently there are a lot of ways that you may be owed money but may not be aware of it.  Who knew?

There's actually $33 billion in unclaimed money.  This could be money from old pay checks, utility refunds, trust distributions, checking or savings accounts, cds, or even safe deposit boxes.

The best place to begin your search is the official NAUPA (National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators) database.
On this site you will find records from most state unclaimed property programs.
At the top of the screen on that page you will see a place for your name and state.  Be sure to search any state you've ever lived in.

I wasn't able to find any money on here for myself but I have found it for other people. You can search anyone's name.

The next place you may want to look is the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation's web site.
Look under "bank find" to locate the history of a found bank account.

Understand that if your bank failed and you do not claim your funds within a year and a half then your money will be turned over to the FDIC.  If this has happened visit the site below.
*If you don't claim it within a few years you will lose the entire amount.*
Do you remember savings bonds?  I remember having them as a child.  Even if you don't have the bonds themselves or know how much they are worth you may still be able to find out.
Look on the website below and go to "Treasury hunt."
Can you believe there is more than $133 million in unclaimed pension funds!
You may wonder what happens when a company goes out of business, well the PBGC (Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation) takes over.  If the employer is unable to track down the owner of the pensions then PBGC takes over.  If you think you have unclaimed pension money check the site below:

Did you find anything?  I didn't find anything for myself this time but I may have found something for a friend.  Happy Hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment