Saturday, January 31, 2015

Healthy Ingredient Substitutions

I really enjoy cooking.  If you enjoy it as much as I do you've probably at one point or another had to substitute an ingredient either because you were missing something or to make it healthier.  I found a few great lists of great healthy food substitutions and I'm going to share some great ones below.



  • Bacon
    • No nitrate bacon, turkey bacon, vegetarian bacon, Canadian-style bacon.
  • Bread Crumbs
    • Rolled oats
  • Brown Sugar
    • 1 cup organic brown sugar, coconut sugar, date sugar, or agave nectar
  • Butter
    • 1/2 the called for butter use unsweetened applesauce, baby food prunes, tofu, or pureed white beans. For 1/4 the called for butter use 1/4 the called for butter using flaxseed meal.
  • Baking Powder
    • Instead of 1tsp baking powder use 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 1/4 tsp baking soda.
  • Cheese
    • Instead of 8oz mascarpone use 8oz cream cheese. For 8oz cream cheese use 8oz ricotta cheese or Neufchatel cheese.
  • Chocolate
    • Instead of 1oz semisweet chocolate use 3 tbsp. semisweet chocolate pieces or 1oz unsweetened chocolate and 1 tbsp. sugar.  Instead of 4oz sweet baking chocolate use 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tbsp. cooking oil or melted shortening. Instead of 1oz unsweetened chocolate use 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder plus 1 tbsp. cooking oil or melted shortening.
  • Eggs
    • Instead of 1 whole egg use 2 egg whites or 1/4 c egg substitute.  Instead of 1 egg use 1tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp. water.
  • Flour Tortillas
    • Corn tortillas
  • Jam/Jelly
    • Mashed fresh berries
  • Oil based Marinades
    • wine, balsamic vinegar, fruit juice, fat-free broth
  • Mayo
    • Hummus, pesto, mashed avocado, mustard (on sandwiches) Greek yogurt can be used in dressings and casseroles.
  • Soy Sauce
    • Sweet and Sour sauce, hot mustard sauce, Bragg's amino.
  • Sour Cream
    • Nonfat or Greek yogurt.
  • Vegetable Oil
    • Coconut oil 1:1.
I've personally used the bacon, baking soda, cheese, chocolate, flour tortillas, mayo, soy sauce, sour cream and vegetable oil substitutes.  I've had excellent success with all substitutions.  I actually really enjoy some of the substitutes better than the original ingredient.
I always substitute corn tortillas for flour ones. I love using hummus and avocados on my sandwiches.  I often make my own marinades and salad dressings.  I recently tried coconut oil and love it so far.

Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment