Saturday, February 28, 2015

That darn dress!

Some people see this dress as white & gold while others see black & blue

Unless you've been under a rock you've probably seen the picture above with the accompanying question "What color is this dress?"

So what do you see?   I'll be honest I see a white dress with gold top and lace.  Others see the dress as blue and black instead.  Why?   What causes some to see one color and others to see something different?

Here's a picture of the real dress online:
Case solved: This is the true color of that goddamn white and gold dress

I'm starting to think my mind is warped.  While I can see the capacity for this dress to be blue and black in the second picture it looks blue and gold to me.  In a linked article from my source article I located another picture of the dress in which it does actually look blue and black.

So it appears that the reason we see different things has to do with lighting.  The illusion of color depends on how light is fragmented.  In the first picture the dress was overexposed showing a severely washed out image causing the dress to look gold and white.



Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment