Sunday, June 26, 2016

How to Search an Image.

A co-worker of mine turned me on to this show called "Catfish."  The show is produced by MTV and I've been watching it on Hulu.  The show is about people who fall in love on the internet but have never met.  So far in every episode when the people meet up at least one of the two people involved have turned out to be totally different than their online persona.

I've met quite a few people on the internet.  I've never met anyone who didn't match their pictures.  However, I've met a few that have turned out to not be the person on the inside that I expected. There were also a few that later down the line showed their true colors and they were not the person I thought they were.

I noticed on the show that they would investigate one of parties involved and find out before hand to some degree if they are who they say they are.  In some investigations it becomes clear that there are things that are not truthful or things totally unfold when they get there.

One of the tools they use is a Google Image Search.   I've looked for images on the internet but I've never thought to run a scan on a photo of someone online.  Typically when I meet someone online I ask them for their name and try to find out what year they were born.  After I have that information I can search public records to see if I can find any arrest records.

I love finding new ways to find information.  I also love ways to keep my personal anonymity on the internet.  My first test of this tool was to take a picture of myself on the internet to see if I appear anywhere else.  I'm happy to confirm that I only show up where I should.  It also tagged my picture as glasses and displayed several pictures of other women with glasses similar to mine.

Below is a step-by-step guide on one way how to use Google Images to search for images:
Go to Google.com and click images in the upper right hand corner.  The picture shown is the Google Images search.

Click on the Camera Icon to search by a saved image.  This is how I checked to see if my photo was being used on another site without my permission.

Click on Upload an Image to upload an image saved on your device.

Click Choose File to find a picture on your device.

The top Red box is my picture.  It tagged it as glasses and then showed me a bunch of people who have glasses similar to mine.  



No comments:

Post a Comment