Wednesday, February 18, 2015

How to Live Simply

Image result for simple living

I read a great article on Simple Living by Ari Herzod recently.  He makes some great points on why we should strive for a more simple happier life then a life filled with material goods and complication.
Image result for simple living quotes

Purchase less and give more away.
This is something I really want to focus on.  I am a single person living in a 2 bedroom apartment.  I have 2 nice size closets that are literally stuffed full of things.  Do I really need this much stuff?  Probably not.
Ari says you should decide what you don't want anymore and give it away.  Having more things doesn't equate to having more happiness.
You can use things like the reverse hangar test where you turn your clothes one way and after a few months or even a year if they haven't moved it's time to get rid of them.  You can do the same thing with loose papers, office supplies, and just general things you have laying around.

Eat Well.
Think about what you eat.  When you reach for junk food think about your choice, would you be just as satisfied with a healthier option?  Eating healthier can also save you money.  You don't need to eat as much healthy food to fill you up compared with eating junk food.  Eating real wholesome food also provides your body with nutrients that help fuel it while junk food only provides empty calories with very little or no nutritional value.

Drink Water when you wake up.
The best way to take care of your body after you've been asleep is to drink water.  You lose nutrients while you sleep.  Drink as much of it as you can when you wake up.

Decrease your TV time or get rid of it.
I honestly do not have cable.  I rely on streaming services like Netflix or Hulu for entertainment.  They cost much less than having cable.  I also love the fact that I don't view many commercials or view or see anything I don't want to watch.

Take a break from the digital world.
This one can be difficult for me but I still feel it can be very valuable.  No matter whether you only unplug for a day, a weekend, or a month you will learn to enjoy life again without constant digital feedback.  I love going camping and having no choice but to unplug.

Socialize.
This is another one that is difficult for me.  I tend to be a hermit an prefer the solace of my own home.  However, I also long to go places and do things.  I do know that being more social and being around positive people can make a great impact on your life.

Make a Schedule.
Go to bed at nearly the same time, wake at the same time and try to do almost everything at the same time every day.  This will ensure that you stay in a rhythm and consistent every day.

Learn to Say No.
Most of us feel bad if we say no because our culture has programmed us to feel that way.  Feel free to say no to things that do not add value to your life.

You're not Perfect.
It's ok, no one is perfect.  You don't have to live simply all the time but try to re-visit it as much as possible.


Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment