Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Coupon or not to coupon


Coupon or not to coupon?  That is the question on many people's minds.   I can see both sides of why to do it and why not to. 

If you're like me and you live in a state where the magical "double coupon" is unheard of due to legislature then it will be very difficult for you to do any "extreme couponing."

I'm not saying you can't get super deals using coupons. I'm just saying don't expect a win like you see on TV.  In states where "double couponing" isn't allowed you just have to be really good at matching up stores that will allow you to use both a manufacturer's coupon and a store coupon at the same time.  Here in the South two stores great for that are Target and Publix.  Both stores offer pretty good store coupons each week and allow you to use manufacturer's coupons as well.  Target even offers to give you $5 gift cards for certain items purchased and then you can use those gift cards to pay off the balance there or keep and use later.

Why to Coupon?

If you fit any of the statements below you have a good reason to use coupons to your advantage.
  • If you live in an area where you have to travel a significant distance to get to a larger chain grocery store.
  • If you often buy name brand products.
  • If you have a large family.
  • If you live in a smaller area and your local grocery stores accept coupons.
  • If you often shop at stores that allow both manufacturer's coupons and store coupons to be used together.
I'm originally from West Virginia.  I remember growing up we only had a Foodland that was within 10 miles of our house.  So we often shopped there. However, I also remember going to "town" with my Grandparents which was about 20 or so miles away.  I remember shopping at Kroger's, Food Lion, and then Wal-Mart.  In this larger town the prices on groceries were better and so was the selection of items to purchase.
This still holds true today.  If you live in a more rural area where you may only have one grocery store that store has no direct competition they can and often do price their items higher than what you would find if you went to a larger town with multiple grocery stores. It's all about competition.
  • That's why it's good to utilize coupons if you live in a similar area.  If you are shopping at the local store save yourself some money because they making you pay what they want because they are the only store around.  If you are going to travel farther away for less expensive food or a larger selection of food you will be using more gasoline to get there so why not use coupons to your advantage to cut costs again somewhere else.
There are very few products that I buy that are name brand.  I often shop at the Dollar Tree or Aldi's so most of everything I buy is not a well known name brand they are often store brands.   One item I do purchase that is name brand is razors.  I feel there's nothing worse that having a dull cheap razor so I spring for a name brand razor/razorblades.
  • This is a great item I purchase at Target and take advantage of the store deals combined with manufacturer's coupons.  Without any coupons 2 packs of razor blades could be $22-48.  Usually with just Target deals I can get them (let's use the cheaper pack) for about $20 and get a $5 gift card which I use on this order so they would only be about $15.  Let's say I had 2 manufacturer's coupons (both can be used) and they are for $2.00 each then I would only pay $11 for 2 packs of razor blades.  Eleven dollars is about the cost for one pack so I essentially got a buy one get one free.
If you have a large family you are probably purchasing a lot of food each month.  If your family buys name brand items you should consider using coupons to offset the costs of buying so many products. 
  • If you have a membership to a club like BJ's you can also use manufacturer's coupons as well as their store coupons.  They also usually have their own gas station where you can get deals on gas as well. Couponing for a large family can be a bit of work but if you have older children, those that can use scissors responsibly can help with cutting out and organizing coupons.
Why Not to Coupon?

I've compiled some reasons below why not to coupon.
  • You live in a larger city with many discount grocery stores.
  • You care less about name brands, just as long as the food looks and tastes good.
  • You don't have extra time to coupon for larger trips.
Now I live farther South in a much larger city than what I'm used to living in.  There are many large chain grocery stores as well as several discount grocery stores.  Most of the time when I purchase food I purchase it at Aldi's or a local discount grocer.  I could care less what brand it is as long as it tastes good and most of the time I don't have the time needed to plan out elaborate grocery store visits.

I'm not saying I never coupon, but I coupon for very specific products, the rest I just buy at a discount store in order to save me money and time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment