Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Future of Weight Loss

I'm always interested in reading about the next new avenue in the weight loss game.  Not so much because I want to lose weight but the cynical and  judgmental side of me wants to investigate this new option to see what I think of it. Does it meet my approval, how dangerous is this, what are the side effects, and what are the long-term results?
I'm a big fan of the Paleo diet, clean healthy eating, and exercise.  However, I will tell you for some reason or another I can only sustain my momentum with these things for so long until I get lazy or bored of them and then I fall back into my old habits.  I'm interested in something that can help me and work long-term.
I've been very opposed to weight loss surgery until I heard of this new technology.
There's an interesting video I watched on WebMD about a new method they are trying out.  It's called VBLOC.  It's an implant that is placed under the skin just outside the rib cage and it affects the signals from the Vagus nerve.  This nerve sends out the message to tell the body that it is full.  VBLOC sends out programmed signals to trick the body into feeling like it's full. This causes the body to feel full faster and eat less.
VBLOC may be a weight loss surgery however it's not as quick a fix as other weight loss surgeries.  This video featured a 60 year old man who has had the device for about 3 years and has lost about 70 pounds. That's only about 2 lbs. per month.  This man has been able to keep the weight off as well.

Below is a link if you would like to read their article or watch the video:
http://www.webmd.com/news/breaking-news/future-of-health/?ecd=wnl_foh_040615#obesity-treatment-toc/advances-in-obesity-treatment

No comments:

Post a Comment